# 2020-04-01 conda-forge core meeting ## Attendees - MS, ED, LB, CJ, AS, MB, Matt B, FF, JH, Uwe ## Agenda ### Your agenda items * [Matt B] - Should we have an official policy around updates/support for our compiler stack? - they are not interested in paid support. - If there is a switch they are going to get a loud alert? (YES!) - The main problem that the LSST called out was the gcc 5 break. - answer: no policy because we don't have the bandwidth - it is done adhoc, expect gcc9 in the next 2-3 years - Also do we have a name for our compiler stack? (gcc7?) - For context, I got a query from a big scientific project (the data management team for the Vera Rubin Observatory). They are moving their entire software stack to use conda-forge + it's compilers (based on work I did for them showing them how to do it! yay!). They are wondering about how the compilers might change in the next 2-3 years and what label they might apply to their internal systems to track the compiler stack version as a whole. Note they only use linux and osx AFAIK. * We should publish the way that we decide what pinnings to use and when things change. * Update to gcc 9? jjhelmus wants it done soon, but definitely sometime in the next 2 years * gfortran compat break between 7 and 8. 9 is compatible with 8. Details at https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/LibgfortranAbiCleanup ### Active votes ### Subteam updates #### Bot * [CJ] Bot auto issues migrator PRs into pinnings * What cadence do we want for these? Do maintainers decide? Where would this live? * [CJ] Should we wait for a version beyond R `4.0.0` for migration (mostly a question for the bioconda folks)? * What are we updating when? - root break micro but we push everything - hdf5 breaks everything so we do that once a year - libnetcdf is pinned to micro version - boost pin to micro do every other - tiledb (3 breaks in 18 days, over pinned so should be at 'x.x' instead of 'x.x.x') - protobuf breaks at micro (~once a year) * proposed solution: - bot team put the rules of thumb above into some form in pinnings - will be documented - core will defer to maintainers - we'll see how this goes... #### ARM #### POWER #### CUDA #### Docs #### staged-recipes #### website #### security+systems * CFEP was merged * if you want to join us (AS, CJ, Matt B.), please let me know! * currently merging a weekly meeting of this sub-team with the bot sub-team * no formal plans yet * CFEP-13 implementation is ongoing - blocked on appveyor+vs2017 deprecation right now ### CI infrastructure #### Compiler upgrade ### CFEP updates * [cfep-14](https://github.com/conda-forge/cfep/pull/25) security and systems subteam * Accepted * [cfep-15](https://github.com/conda-forge/cfep/pull/26) Deprecate Python 2.7 and vs2008 * Accepted #### Open PRs * [cfep-04](https://github.com/conda-forge/conda-forge-enhancement-proposals/pull/7) X11 and CDT policy * INACTIVE - Merge in with some inactive-esque status? * Needs new champion. Thanks for your work on this pkgw! Has unaddressed comments from pkgw as from Jan 10, 2020 * [cfep-06](https://github.com/conda-forge/conda-forge-enhancement-proposals/pull/9) Staged-recipes review lifecycle * INACTIVE - Merge in with some inactive-esque status? * Lingering comment from @saraedum. @jakirkham, can you reply? Has unadressed comment from @saraedum from Jan 8, 2020 * [cfep-10](https://github.com/conda-forge/conda-forge-enhancement-proposals/pull/15) Feedstock statuses, unmaintained * INACTIVE - Merge in with some inactive-esque status? * Needs another review. Has unaddressed updates from pkgw as of Jan 11, 2020 * [cfep-12](https://github.com/conda-forge/cfep/pull/23) Removing packages that violate the terms of the source package * Active debate about moving to "broken" vs deleting from conda-forge channel * Active vote, ends on 2020-03-11 ## Discussion ## Check in on previous action items Copy previous action items from last meeting agenda. ### Last meeting * [x] (Matt Becker) Update the docs with our current thinking / principles. ### 2 meetings ago ### 3 meetings ago * Remove conda forge readthedocs. * [ ] (jakirkham) write a blog post on CUDA stuff we discussed today * [ ] (jakirkham) update docs on how to add CUDA support to feedstocks * [ ] (jakirkham) will open an issue on conda-smithy to investigate Drone issues. (ping the aarch team) * https://github.com/conda-forge/conda-forge.github.io/issues/954 ### Move to Issue Tracker * [ ] cfep-10 next steps: CJ to call a vote for feedback * [ ] cfep-06 next steps: Ask staged recipes team to champion this CFEP and move it forward * [ ] jakirkham & CJ-wright to sync on adding CUDA to the migration bot * [ ] (Eric) Scheduling Anaconda <-> conda-forge sync on anaconda.org requirements gathering * Will try and get this scheduled in the next month. * [ ] (Anthony) Reach out to NumFocus to figure out legal ramifications of not including licenses in files. * [ ] (Eric) check internally for funding levels for hotels & flying folks from the community in? * [ ] (Eric) Figure out finances of conda-forge to support themselves? * [ ] (jjhelmus) Open up CFEP for which python's we're going to support.